Setting your Team up for Success
Over the past few months as we transition back to what we hope will be a full trading recovery my phone has been busy with General Managers, Stakeholder and Business owners asking me how they might restructure their sales marketing and revenue functions within their business .
This is set against a backdrop of reduced team size in many cases, challenges in recruiting new talent and a weighting in many hotels towards increased leisure activity in their hotel or resort . Such a change in business mix and segment performance means that a certain level of realignment needs to happen in every business. This realignment may not be permanent but instead I recommend that you review every 6 months or so to ensure that it is fit for purpose .
One thing we can be sure of is that no one structure fits all, instead every business needs to build a team structure that will support and help the business achieve what their business goals and objectives are . Each business already has an experienced skill set and knowledge base within their existing team . The key question is How can you leverage that knowledge and business intelligence to support your business goals now that your business has changed ? What skills sets do you need to build or strengthen within the team ? Do you need to engage with external resources or training supports to mitigate any deficit of skills in your hotel ?
As you go about this change process and restructure here are a few pointers to guide your planning:
- Plan for both the short and the long term.
- Leverage and review your technology schema to optimise revenue to remove process and allow you focus on priority items.
- Understand the expectation of the leisure guest in terms of guest personalisation and service levels pre, onsite and post arrival.
- Focus on how you can develop ancillary revenue opportunities.
- Keep the guest journey very central in all your planning.
- Be Easy to do Business with!
If you are thinking of making changes in your team and would welcome some advice please drop us a line.
Join us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram @TheInnovateRoom